|Tumacacori is located
about 45 minutes south of Tucson, on the road to Nogales and the Mexican
Father Kino established it as a mission in January 1691, one day before Guevavi, making it the oldest mission site in Arizona. For many years, though, it was a visita or visiting station of the mission headquarters at Guevavi. During most of those years, it was located on the east side of the Santa Cruz River, and services were held in a small adobe structure built by the Pima inhabitants of the village. It was originally called San Cayetano de Tumacácori. After the Pima rebellion of 1751, the mission was moved to the present site on the west side of the river and renamed San José de Tumacácori. Here the first actual church edifice was built.